1. Keep a handle on things
Puns notwithstanding, your social media handle is important, because it’s key to how people find and interact with you.
- Make sure you choose something that is relevant and easy to understand so potential followers know who you are.
- We recommend capitalising the first letter of each word to make your handle easier to read, i.e. @EngagingE.
- Consistency is key, so try to keep your handle the same across different social media platforms.
2. Make sure everything is picture perfect
A good profile image and banner are essential on all social media platforms. After all, they are the first things people are likely to notice!
- Choose good-quality images and graphics (not pixelated or blurry).
- Make sure your profile image is the correct size so none of it is cut off.
- Make sure your profile image doesn’t obscure anything important on your banner or cover image.
- Make sure your images look good on both mobile and desktop.
3. Let everyone know who you are
A strong bio is essential on all social media platforms. It needs to show people who you are and what you do. Bonus points if you can add in a little dash of style too!
- Keep it concise. It’s often only the first one or two sentences of your bio that get a preview on your page, so make sure the very first sentence has all the information required.
- Include keywords that relate to your industry. Out of all social media tips and tricks, using relevant keywords in your bio is probably the most important for discoverability!
- Ensure you’ve added all your contact information and a link to your website correctly.
- If there are other important accounts related to yours, such as the Trust your school is a part of, your bio is the perfect place to tag them!
4. Stick a pin in it
Pinning posts is an excellent way to leave an impression with users.
On top of that, accounts with pinned posts have been shown to drive more engagement than those without. But what should you pin? Here are some of our favourites to get you started:
- Video content that showcases your organisation, because everyone loves a good trailer!
- Posts that show recent successes and good news. This is the perfect place to share your achievements, so don’t be shy!
5. Be a follower
We’re all for individuality, but in the world of social media, sometimes you have to be a follower too. The accounts you choose to follow and engage with make up a core aspect of your social media presence.
- Start following relevant accounts, big and small.
- If you share a post about a collaborative project, check to see what social media accounts your partners have and remember to tag them when you post.
Your social media accounts can make a difference
So, are you ready to improve or set up your very first social media account?
We love supporting our clients with everything social media-related, from planning campaigns to providing monthly feedback and support.
We’ve given you the overview on how to start, but you can always get in touch with us for social media tips and tricks that will fit your business like a glove!